Sunday, March 8, 2009

Why We Read


I read for pleasure. I read for knowledge. I read because I have to. These are the three main reasons anyone reads. When I was a small child, reading was considered a pleasure for me. I would love to curl up in bed with a good book that would transport me places. As I grew older and i started having more and more work, and as methods of pleasure became less intellectual. I saw and decrease in my reading. I entirely relied on sources such as Sparknotes to condense reading for me, so there was less for me to actually read.

Reading was soon transformed to a chore for me. I read mostly for knowledge (school books) and because I had to. I hope that this class, Responding to Literature, with its lax guidelines on which book to read, will let me rekindle the love I had for books.

No comments:

Post a Comment